Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Story Begins

Well, I am thrilled to say that I am finally on the road to the smile I have always wanted. It feels like this is something that I have wanted for a really long time. Most folks might say that my smile is fine, some say it's even pretty. But, if you dare to ask me, what you will get is an incredibly detailed explanation of each tooth and how it can be adjusted. An obsession? Sure, it is possible. I mean, can you guess what my most frequent reoccurring dream is? Yes, my teeth falling out. Or, my teeth crumbling. Sure, I know someone who translates dreams might interpret is as something else. But, if anything it makes me extra conscious of my teeth.



That leads me to where we are today. Here I sit, a professional woman, still months short of 30, about to get braces. A new mother on top of that. But, I opted for Invisalign. That sort of brought me to this place. I know in my decision making, I was intrigued by real stories of Invisalign clients. So, I thought I'd share my story at this spot. Maybe my experience can help another smile obsessed individual make a choice.



I actually did my first initial consult a few months back but couldn't commit to the first initial fees through the holidays. The consultation was really great, and I can honestly say that I don't believe that my dentist was just trying to sell me on the Invisalign deal because I was felt like I was very thorough in my questions. As it turns out, traditional braces at his office are the same price as Invisalign anyway. With the Invisalign, I was tempted with the 'free' whitening however. Yes, of course I know it is not really free. I mean, geez I am paying $5400 for the treatment. (*a little upset because I missed the 10% but I am still negotiating). I was also sold very easily because he did inform me that this price would also include any modifications that needed to be done once the process was complete. For me, that will probably include a permanent retainer because of my canine rotations (less than 20 degrees). If I am not satisfied with the complete work of the Invisalign system, this would also include traditional braces that might be needed to finish the process. Again, it's a pretty pricey but its very inclusive which keeps me from getting hit with additional fees later.

I would recommend my dentist to anyone and I really feel comfortable there,so that was another selling point for me. The staff is great and they really try to make the entire dental experience very comfortable.

Months after the consultation, I called to get the ball rolling and last week I went for impressions. Now, I'm just waiting for them to call me to say Invisalign sent everything back. I'm really anxious to see what this 'ClinCheck' looks like and to really see if they can satisfy even the most obsessive clients.

I'm sort of hoping that I'm presented with something that will look a million times better and that people will actually be able to see. Vain? Perhaps. But, man if I'm spending this money I want people to be able to see the difference. The last thing I want to do is look back and say "wow, was that ever a waste of money." And actually, it is more that that. Those darn rotated canines really drive me nuts and I know they will continue to rotate and I don't want to be presented with some sort dental health problem when I'm a grandmother because of them.

As the teeth turn.....

1 comment:

  1. I've had the same dream about my teeth falling out! hahaha! If it helps any anxiety you may have, I've had a great experience with invisalign so far. I'm just hoping it will work. :-)

    ReplyDelete